DEFINITION OF ISLAM: Rahma- dealing with people with more than just justice.
REFERENCE: SURAH AL-ISRA/BANI-ISRAEL- THE NIGHT JOURNEY
When you do ihsan, you do it for yourself. We have the freedom of choice to choose our actions but we do not choose the consequences of our actions.
Physical benefits of doing good to others:
- Causes longevity
- Reduction of early death
- Reduced incidence of brain decline
Mental and emotional benefits of doing good to others:
- Helper’s high: Engaging in good deeds results in the brain releasing feel-good chemicals that are associated with happiness.
- Brain chemicals are also released: oxytocin, dopamine, endorphins
- Tend and mend response- we want to approach people and build relationships.
- Helps keep our problems in perspective. Having a larger purpose helps direct your attention and keep it in perspective.
- Starts a virtuous cycle that cements relationships and strengthens families, communities.
- A kindness bank is created in our brains. Every time we think about those good actions we feel good.
- You win hearts when you do good deeds.
- Must do it consistently in order to gain its benefits.
However, you must do the deed with the correct intention or it will not benefit you. Do it out of the goodness of your heart rather than to gain something in return.
Certain etiquettes whilst doing ihsan:
- Underestimate and undervalue the good act.
- Do not make a person feel obligated towards you for helping them out.
- Conceal the good deed from the rest of society.
- Only reveal the good deed if it will encourage others to partake of the deed too.
- Hastening the completion of the good deed. Don’t make people wait for your help once you have offered it.
- Forget about the deed once it is completed.
Narration of Imam Ali (AS): To be in this world is not good except for two types of people:
- Someone who is doing more good deeds and ihsan
- Someone who has done bad deeds and is trying to compensate by doing tawba.
- Surah Al-Isra- The Night Journey- [17:7]
- Tuhaf al Uqul no. 403
To access lots of free resources on relationships and personal growth, please sign up for #DailyWisdom at www.marziahassan.org/dailywisdom